Do Cellulite Lotions Work?
Now here’s an interesting debate because some people have great results with cellulite lotions but others don’t see any results at all. It’s questionable whether a good quality body moisturiser does the same job as an anti-cellulite lotion so let’s delve a little further!
If you’re about to hit the beach and get into that bikini or swimsuit, cellulite can be high up on your list of bikini-body worries. Firstly, remember, you won’t be the only person with cellulite round the pool, secondly most people won’t be watching you and finally – we are all our own worse critics so what you see, others probably don’t! There are plenty of factors that affect cellulite – but firstly, what exactly is cellulite and why do you have it?
What is Cellulite?
Cellulite looks like orange peel skin – so if you have lumpy, bumpy skin on your thighs this is what it is. Of course, there are different levels of cellulite and some is worse than others. It’s basically fluid retention and is more often than not found on loose skin than skin that is taut and firm. As you age, your skin loses its elasticity so it is prone to cellulite. To test out whether you have cellulite or how bad yours is, pinch your skin. If it bounces back immediately with no lumps or bumps then lucky you – you are in the minority of women! You don’t have cellulite. If you pinch your skin and you get a little lumpy or bumpy mark then you have a little cellulite and this is easily combatted. If you stand up and have cellulite but lie down and it disappears then you have cellulite and can help to diminish it but you may not get rid of it completely.
Cellulite comes from areas where there is no or little circulation and apparently 95% of women suffer from it – even if you’re slim it doesn’t mean you escape it! Look at your mother and grandmother; the chances are if they have cellulite so will you so if you haven’t got it yet you can take steps to prevent it. It’s much harder to battle the lumps and bumps after they arrive.
How Do You Get Rid of Cellulite?
Don’t be fooled by the anti-cellulite lotions. They alone will not shift cellulite but a good quality anti-cellulite lotion will go a long way to help. There’s no doubt you will have a smoother, softer skin that feels great but you need to combine these lotions and potions with good diet, hydration and exercise. Some women who exercise every day and use cellulite lotions still have lumps and bumps (take it from someone who knows!) but you will definitely see a difference and it will lessen. However, it might not completely disappear because every day you’re getting older and skin loses elasticity so it may not completely disappear. The good news is it can be reduced. Here’s what you can do to shift your cellulite:
- This means aerobic exercise which stimulates circulation and tightens muscles. Tightening muscles will firm up some skin but if you have particularly loose skin it won’t completely tone up. Try power walking, jogging, dancercise, Zumba or get in the water and swim. You will definitely see a difference and feel better too.
- Drink water. Drinking 2 litres of water a day removes toxins and cellulite comes from toxins inside your body. Hydrating yourself plumps out skin and reduces the appearance of cellulite.
- Don’t Yo-Yo diet. This is terrible for skin tone, it dries skin out and causes it to sag – this is not a good look and cellulite often comes from heavy dieting.
- If you have a hormone imbalance you are likely to have cellulite especially if you have too much oestrogen, talk to your GP if you think this refers to you, particularly if you are on hormonal contraception - you might want to try something else.
- Try body brushing when in the shower. Make big upward strokes toward your heart. This helps improve circulation in thighs and disperses fat – it definitely makes a difference.
- If you have a sedentary lifestyle there’s no doubt you will encourage cellulite so don’t sit in front of your computer or the TV for too long. Get up, move around, take a break and walk in the fresh air, it’s good for the soul as well as for getting your legs moving!
- Stop eating food containing processed and artificial ingredients. Additives and chemicals don’t break down well during digestion and are stored as fat. Dairy food and sugary foods contribute to cellulite so cut these out.
- Use a good quality body moisturiser or cellulite cream such as our Naturology anti-cellulite and stretch mark lotion and look for something with natural ingredients. Seek a lotion containing Centella Asiatica which is a natural herb and is an effective natural treatment in anti-ageing, it combats lumps and bumps and smooths out skin boosting elasticity. Another ingredient to seek out is Ginkgo Biloba which is an antioxidant and increases circulation as it strengthens veins.
Try the above before you hit the beach this summer – give yourself a good 2 weeks head start and don’t stop the anti-cellulite steps to really see the difference in the months to come. If you do this over the next 6 months you will see a dramatic change but can we promise all your cellulite will disappear just by using a cellulite lotion? In some ways, but we believe it takes determination and lifestyle changes and by using our anti-cellulite and stretch mark lotion you can help reduce your cellulite’s appearance.
- Mark Wallace